Has the new syllabus for CPT been implemented?
The Institute of Chartered Accountancy of India (ICAI) announced in March 16 about implementing a new programme for aspirants of Chartered Accountancy. The Common Proficiency Test (CPT) pattern for admission to CA is being recast by introducing 200 marks for subjective questions in addition to objective questions for 200 marks. The Revised Scheme of Education and Training for the CA course came into effect from 1st July 2017. Yes, the new syllabus for CPT has been implemented with an objective to prepare a more competent, better equipped and more accountable generation of Chartered Accountants.
Latest update by the President of ICAI on the Revised Scheme of Education and Training for the CA course
Developed in line with the International Education Standards issued by the International Accounting Education Standards Board (IAESB) and inputs from various stakeholders including ICAI members, academicians and industry experts, the Revised Scheme is in sync with the requisites of the contemporary business environment. In the context of the ever-evolving economic and business environment, this Revised Scheme will be a stepping stone for CA students, while helping them prepare and develop themselves as multidimensional Chartered Accountants and 360-degree business solution providers. This will eventually support them in smooth functioning in industry and practice, which is full of potential opportunities.
Implementation leads to pertinent questions
With the implementation, the number of queries from CA aspirants is increasing as to what will happen if registration is according to the old scheme and whether questions will be relevant to the Foundation Course. The points described below will help remove confusion so that you do not get puzzled with the Revised Scheme.
- If you have registered on or before 30th June 2017, you will appear in CA-CPT to be held in November 2017. The new changes here will not be applicable to you.
- At any point in time, you can switch over to the Foundation Course.
- After 1st July 2017, aspirants can register only under the Revised Scheme as the existing scheme has been discontinued.
- The first examination under the Revised Scheme will be held in May 2018. Candidates must register on or before 31st December 2017.
- For registering in the Foundation Course, a student must have appeared in the Class 12 exam.
- A student must have completed 4 months of study and cleared the Class 12 exam to be eligible to appear in the Foundation Examination.
- Students who are eligible to register in CA-CPT/IPCC/Final under the existing scheme must enroll themselves on or before 30th June 2017. After the new syllabus comes into effect, registration to CA-CPT/IPCC/Final under the existing scheme will be discontinued.
Detailed answers to relevant queries related to the new scheme are described on the ICAI website. To get a quick response to your queries, you may also ask our experts at CAprep18 or email us.
CA Foundation: CA-CPT Revised Syllabus
Marks: 400; Papers: 4; Paper type: Objective + Subjective; Duration: 4 months
Examination to be held twice a year: May and November
For an attempt in May, the candidate must register before 31st December of the previous year.
For an attempt in November, the candidate must register before 30th June of the same year.
Passing criteria: 40% in each subject and 50% in aggregate
We hope you found this article helpful. To know more, register at CAprep18 and improve your chances of clearing CA-CPT in the first attempt. Read more articles on Chartered Accountancy at CAprep18. Like and share them with your acquaintances who aspire to become a Chartered Accountant.